Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dad-GUM-it

Don't panic. In fact, mothers should never panic. uh heh. uh heh heh heh HEH....(this is my crazed, teeth clenched laughing btw). No really though, the hardest part about this ordeal turned out to be choosing which of Essie's bazillion funny faced pictures to post. Too much cuteness can certainly be a frequent dilemma for us Mommas though. And when it happens to you just be glad it was gum and not the scissors. Doesn't scripture say "To not worry about tomorrow because tomorrow has scissors enough of it's own?" or something along those lines. But gum? No problem.
Essie learned a good lesson. In fact, I vividly remember not heeding my own mother's order to remove my gum before bed time or I would find it in my hair. I remember waking up shocked to find gum in my hair and thinking "Oh wow. So mom didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday!" heh heh (A favorite expression of hers to get us to respect her wealth of experience and not be know-it-alls).This is Essie's "doh" face. So in all my eleven plus years of gum removal, I can tell you truly, not to panic. It's easy.
I've tried it all by now and I believe that olive oil is without a doubt the easiest, quickest, safest thing and you're sure to have it on hand.
1. Saturate gum in olive oil and rub it in for a little while.

2. Carefully start pulling very small strands of hair from the gum to save the hair. (Rather than just pulling on the gum which usually breaks the hair.)

3. Wash area with dawn dishsoap to cut the grease

4. Wash hair as normal.


Essie highly recommends it.

5 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

What a cutie pie your dd is!!

I was just talking to my 4yo dd, Hannah, about the 'best practices' for chewing gum... I'm showing her this as soon as she wakes up, hopefully gum free!

christa jean said...

Thanks for the tip! We haven't encountered such an adventure as this before! I had always heard peanut butter worked well, and also ice. I will be adding olive oil to my mental gum-removal library now.

Unknown said...

Yay !!! So glad you got that gum out... I did that a couple times when I was little.. pretty sure each kid had gum in the hair too... but.. I took the scissors to it... only is I knew !! Hugs, Mica

The White House said...

I must say you're mommy is becoming quite the blogger these days! Nice pics essie! You're beautiful and I am glad you gots your gums out!

Anonymous said...

I have used peanut butter about a million times. WORKS AMAZING!!! Breaks down the gum fast and comes right out. Your little one is sooooo super cute!