Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Gingerbread Knocked Me Out Too...

I have a confession to make. I had been dreading this gingerbread thing. It's not that I don't like these warm fuzzy seasonal rights of passages... but well, in all honesty, for me it is so very sanctifying whenever I include my little ones in the cooking. I'm not one of those gals who just love to cook...but someone's gotta. Also, I do currently have a two year old son. Generally, (yes, this is a generalization), but generally when you put buckets of candy in front of two year old boys, they want to grab fist fulls of it and eat it as fast as they can. All of it. I don't blame him. It is very difficult to learn the restraint to decorate with something you so desperately want to digest. These are the finished products here, and six kids way too hopped up on sugar to seriously pose for a picture. Owen is yes, crying because as I explained, he wants to devour the house and we're not letting him. Essie...cracks me up. Her sense of humor is something only those few people enjoying this song can fully appreciate. (Yeah, you know who you are...you're entranced by her face...and the bizarre boxing man turned singer in the background.)Yeah, I hit pay dirt when I searched "gingerbread" for a cute christmas song, and I think the last time I was truly this fascinated with a song was when my brother introduced me to Wayne and Liz. (Notice Owen struggling with the depth of his depravity below...)If he can't have the house he'll steal Silas' cookie... My day started off with a bang when Owen got up for his usual 5 AM banana. Argghghgh...and I hadn't exactly gotten to bed at a decent hour.
Oh, but my children had! And they all woke up with PLENTY OF ENERGY!

Gemma giving her babies "Sleigh Rides" in the house...



But the day was much improving by the time Gemma made these amazing cookies...And brought them to me at my desk.This is Daddy cheering Essie up on the phone after a bit of a traumatic bath. (Yes, contrary to popular opinion, we Kirkmans do occasionally bathe.)
I could've been upset at this desecration of the Disneyland souvenir...but then I realized I should be proud. She wrote her name all by herself! And now her hat won't get mixed up with Hannah's ANYMORE! Rascal. Look at that face... ("I've got evwything under contwol, Mom")
These were the sweet, hair combed, obedient children...before the sugar was pumping through their veins.She really was actually drooling.Juliet trying to get a piece of the action...

Owen up from his nap and doing some decorating...The experts at work...
The experts being interrupted by a sugary momma...
Letting them take a few licks before the gingerbread houses get put high up on the book shelf for display...when we realize....wait...where? Where is the baby?!?!? Kids!!! Find the baby!!!
(Doh. They found me!)
Under the table, feasting on her first candy cane. (Also not in the Super Baby Food diet). Ah well. What? You'd look like this too if Gingerbread knocked you out...with intent to kill. ???


SOME VERY IMPORTANT FIRSTS...
Owen makes Dinner!
Gemma gets her own "teenager soap"! (sniffle, sniffle..my baby...)

And....

DRUM ROLL...

Drooliet meet Rudolph!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every day is Christmas at the Kirkmans! Gingerbread Knocked me out woke up my baby but it was worth it.

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose said...

Drooooooooooooliet! Oh you hurt auntie you're o cute! That pic of her next to the tv/mrs.rudolph is a screen saver must!

-The lonely for kirkman babies Auntie Rose