Saturday, March 8, 2008

Boasting in Weakness

The other day I noticed Esther curled up on the couch "reading" her Bible very intently. Since Essie is only 4 yrs and does not read at all (and in fact has not even been started on phonics), I was very curious to know what she was actually reading on that vast pictureless page of words!
I realized that Essie had been having a low point in the day and that along with her faithful blankie and sucking her little finger, she was seeking comfort in the scriptures. This was mind blowing for me and my knees actually began to feel a bit weak as I humbly realized that God was encouraging me and specifically answering my discouraged prayers from earlier that morning.

I asked "Whatcha doin Essie?"
"I'm readin my Bible....just like a Momma"
"Oh...(gulp)...that's really wise Essie. And what are you reading?"
"Oh, lots of good pawts."
"So what does it say?"
"The people said 'We thought God is not real, but HE IS!' "
"I need your yellow mawker Mom."
"Oh. Okay. Why?"
"To make the best pawts look the most pwetty"

My morning prayers had everything to do with the enormity of my weakness and the ways I feel I fail my children. I prayed for the strength to teach them all the things I need to teach them and was reminded in one knee buckling moment that it was my weakness and need for a Savior that taught them the greatest things.

...but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses....
...and He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
~2 Cor. 12 5 & 9
My soul cleaves to the dust;
Revive me according to Your word.
I have told of my ways, and You have answered me;
Teach me your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
So I will meditate on Your wonders.
My soul weeps because of grief;
Strengthen me according to Your word.
Remove the false way from me,
And graciously grant me Your law.
I have chosen the faithful way;
I have placed your ordinances before me.
I cling to your testimonies;
O LORD, do not put me to shame!
I shall run the way of Your commandments,
For You will enlarge my heart.
Psalm 119:25-32

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is fantastic...what a blessing. Essie is such a sweety !!! Hugs Mica

Anne Marie said...

Isn't it amazing how God answers prayers, encourages you, and humbles you at the same moment?!?