Monday, August 11, 2008

Treasure Maps

What could Silas have possibly done now that could evoke such a look from his Father? Well... he could design a really cool treasure hunt, hide the treasure in the van and then....
...scratch the actual map of the van...

into the side of the van!


(You'll see he even included the "X" marks the spot.)

He didn't do this maliciously at all. He designed this fun treasure hunt for all of us and assumed it would "wash off". Since it won't wash off, I guess I will be looking at it for many many years to come. Hopefully it will serve as another very good reminder, along with the huge hole cut into my couch, the huge bleach spot on the new carpet and all the various "artwork" showcased on the walls of our home, each serving as their own sort of treasure map if you will. The little treasure maps that keep pointing me towards the real "treasure".



As we strive to be good stewards with the material stuff God has entrusted us, there is this constant tension between stewarding and enjoying God's great blessings, while still keeping them all in an open hand and not allowing them to become the treasure of our hearts. All these temporary things we naturally strive to acquire and keep... nice homes and cars, clothes, money in the bank, strong healthy bodies, youthful attractive figures... Temporal. And more fleeting than we can imagine.



So it is actually kind of a blessing whenever I'm reminded that those are just temporal things that "moth and rust" can destroy, thieves can steal, and one very rascally kid will inevitably vandalize! The truth is that the real and eternally lasting treasures are the little vandals themselves... and in serving the great God who miraculously sends them my way.




...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. ~Matt. 6:21






So where is your treasure?

14 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

wow Liz! You are one wise momma!

I often find myself more concerned with the temporal, and focus more on the importance of good stewardship... yet I think you are so right... God would prefer that we be good stewards of his blessings - our children, than of the material.

Thanks for the insight and perspective, I am certain I will return to it often as a reminder.

(looks like you also have a talented artist on your hands!)

Sarah Vertner said...

wow Liz! You are one wise momma!

I often find myself more concerned with the temporal, and focus more on the importance of good stewardship... yet I think you are so right... God would prefer that we be good stewards of his blessings - our children, than of the material.

Thanks for the insight and perspective, I am certain I will return to it often as a reminder.

(looks like you also have a talented artist on your hands!)

Sarah Vertner said...

wow Liz! You are one wise momma!

I often find myself more concerned with the temporal, and focus more on the importance of good stewardship... yet I think you are so right... God would prefer that we be good stewards of his blessings - our children, than of the material.

Thanks for the insight and perspective, I am certain I will return to it often as a reminder.

(looks like you also have a talented artist on your hands!)

Rachel Burke said...

wait!!! I'm having a boy? Eeeerch!

Marjie said...

Liz, that is so funny because I was just reading through "Bringing up Boys" (I picked it up secondhand) and I thought of your boys and how you let them be just that BOYS...there are all the stories from grown up men and the things they did in their childhood...well, your boys are right on track to being true men:) Keep your eye on the end goal my friend...and keep laughing.

And my goodness, Silas looks so stinkin' handsome in that picture...how could he possibly have gotten into trouble?:-)

Unknown said...

you have to be kidding me??? O man O man... I am rolling... Poor Si !!! nice map though !! Mica

Jenni said...

I have to say we totally laughed when we saw his "map" when we pulled into the parking lot on Sunday, I had my inklings which one of the Kirkman boys had done the deed. Poor guy, he'll get it one of these days :) Great post Liz!

Jenni said...

Hey Liz, I tagged you on my last post, I will give you until I see you next to do it ;) Just kidding, hope you are having a great week!
http://www.chrisandjenni.com/2008/08/18/six-random-things/

mrs. kleiner said...

I'm not sure who laughed harder....me or Mr. Kleiner. :) His was an almost hysterical laughter, as he identified with Brian's furrowed brow. thanks for pointing it back to Christ. I needed a laugh and a reminder today. smooches, alecia

Serena said...

You have such a great view point. I know that I stress out too much about the "bad" things that the kids do. You're a good mom to have such a good attitude about this.

Serena said...

The last comment was from me. Sorry. Blogger keeps signing me in wrong.

Our growing family said...

Hi Liz,
I'm a friend of Serena!
I noticed that you left a comment asking if her midwife's name was Charlotte...I had my first three babies with Charlotte Geddis when we lived in WA...did you have her too?!?!!
I hope you don't mind if I add you to my list of blogs...it looks like we have a lot in common and I would love to be encouraged by your blogs as we go through similar situations!
Feel free to visit ours and leave a comment if you know Charlotte!
Blessings,
Tarena (Serena is like my "life twin"...even our names sound the same!) =)

Our growing family said...

Our blog is:
www.laughingfamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, What a funny thing the map on the van. I'd actually love looking at it for years. It's your sons art work!! It was so nice to meet you at my church last Sunday. I'd love to have your email. Sandi Kwant Marrried to Rick, Momma to seven kids.